Monday, November 14, 2011

Responding to your message

Dear Mr. Jenkins,

 

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS) established in 1986. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

 

First let me say that I believe we have a national responsibility to our service members, military retirees and veterans. These brave individuals are serving and have served honorably and the least we can do is ensure that they receive all of the benefits they have earned.

 

Unfortunately, inaccurate information regarding FERS has been circulating around media outlets misleading fellow Tennesseans and American citizens. Moreover, it's very important for me to relay to you that members of Congress do not receive their full pay as benefits. In addition, members of Congress must contribute to FERS and serve in public office for a minimum of five years to be eligible to receive benefits.


Additionally, the 1989 Ethics Act established an annual cost of living adjustment for Members of Congress. While I am fortunate in that I have been able to donate my congressional pay to charity, you should also know that Congress has voted to refuse any raise in pay in 2011.

 

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

 



Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

No comments: