Monday, November 14, 2011

Responding to your message

Dear Mr. Jenkins,

 

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding our national debt and government spending. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

 

I share your concerns for the future economic stability of our government due to our overwhelming national debt. Regardless of the party, administration, or Congress in charge, our federal government has spent well beyond its means for many, many years. I am committed to fiscal responsibility, and lately our government has been anything but fiscally responsible. 

 

I cannot express how deeply concerned I am over the dire financial situation of the United States government. A quick review of the budget leaves you with a dizzying sense of the mindboggling debt this country is amassing. During my time in office, I voted against measures such as the President's $780 billion stimulus package, the more than $3.5 trillion budget resolution for FY10, and numerous appropriations bills for FY10 that would increase government spending by 12% while inflation is essentially non-existent. Last year alone we added $1.29 trillion of debt and are projected to face massive annual deficits for years to come unless we drastically change the spending habits here in Washington. Unfortunately, even at a time when Americans and families all across Tennessee are tightening their belts, spending here continues at unexplainable levels. Mortgaging our children's future is simply unacceptable.

 

Please know that I will continue to do whatever I can to bring our country's debt down, even as we deal with the current economic crisis and other long-term obligations. The insight and information you have provided here will help my staff and me look more effectively into this issue, and I thank you for your input.

 

I have delivered 46 presentations in Tennessee since August on America's debt crisis. During a recent debate on the Senate floor, I introduced my bill, the Commitment to American Prosperity (CAP) Act, as an amendment. The CAP Act would cap all Federal spending, including defense and mandatory spending, as a percentage of our gross domestic product (GDP)a move that would instill fiscal discipline and smaller government while incentivizing lawmakers to pass pro-growth policies. While my amendment was not voted on for procedural reasons, please know that I will be introducing the CAP Act when the next Congress arrives in January.

 

I believe in American exceptionalism, and I believe we can solve this problem. If you would like to know more, I would encourage you to visit my website where you can view my presentation on debt and spending. You can find the video by going to the following web address and clicking on the icon reading "America's Debt Crisis:" http://corker.senate.gov.

 

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me as I serve you in the United States Senate.

 

 



Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

No comments: