Saturday, December 27, 2014

Ask and It Will Be Given to You.....


Hi Al,


As you have said I think differently than you do but when verses are abused I have to respond. Christians live in a world of their own imagination.

 

God never responds to our desires and needs. When you were talking to Dottie and me several months ago in the lobby you gave an example of God answering your prayers that happened when one of your children was an infant. I have friends who use examples of things that happened 40-years ago. If God answered prayers what happened to yesterday or 20-minutes ago.

 

Jesus tells us, “Ask, and it will be given to you…”(Matthew 7:7 . If you are right and Jesus was talking to us today I have to doubt anything Jesus said because from what I see he doesn’t.

 

You use that $30,000 example a lot. Hasn’t God done something a little more verifiable, recent or a larger amount? Your friend was a nice guy.  Remember Jesus' story about the woman and the two coins? She gave from her want while your friend gave from his surplus. Don't you have an example of an old lady giving a dollar when you knew she couldn't afford to give the dollar? If we are following Jesus' pattern I would expect more of them than those like your friend.

 

Again Jesus said, “Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it” (John 14:13, 14). The condition He places upon God’s gifts is that we ask in His name. Christians believe including the phrase “in Jesus Name” satisfies that condition (which it does not) and I have never heard anyone correct them. For some reason Jesus never answers and no one blinks an eye. Those prayers might fit the gentiles who like to hear themselves talk.

Prayers where there can be no ambiguity are never answered and to me it is mind boggling for folks to say otherwise in light of what can be seen. People say I do not have faith. I am not talking about my prayers because I do not ask nor expect anything from God. I am talking about those rote and repetitive prayers I hear every week. God never answers and saying he does not change reality though it appears to satisfy the flock. Apparently God handles sprained ankles, pneumonia and cancers detected early but turrets, autism, Downs syndrome, amputations, cancers detected late have God’s number or of course he just chooses to not get involved. 

One day folks discover what they have been taught their entire life is not true and it throws them a curve. In Vacation Bible School Mark told the kids that God will always rescue them if they remain faithful. One day they will discover that is not true and look elsewhere for truth. 

 


John Jenkins
865-803-8179  cell
Gatlinburg, TN


Email: jrjenki@gmail.com
Blogs: http://littlepigeon.blogspot.com/
         
http://alumcave.blogspot.com




 

“Having spent considerable time with good people, I can understand why Jesus liked to be with tax collectors and reprobate sinners."


Mark Twain

No comments: