Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Science vs Religion

I don't expect to change anyone's thinking. I give attention to science because no matter the subject there are thousands of scientists trying to disprove what other scientists assert. If Einstein’s or Darwin’s theories can be proven wrong careers will be guaranteed where as Christians pride themselves on keeping a narrow focus seldom questioning what they believe.

 

"God said it! I believe it! And that settles it!"

 

What that means is "I read somewhere in the Bible that God said it. I believe it, even if other Scriptures contradict it. I believe it, even if others understand differently. I believe it, even if my experience calls it into question. I believe it, because I was taught it as a child, And, since believing it won't cause me the pain of change, that settles it!"

 

Jesus said, "You have heard it said, 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth ..." Where had they heard that said? In the Bible, when the Lord said to Moses, "If anyone injures his neighbor whatever he had done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth." God said it, they believed it, and that settled it for everyone but Jesus. Countering God's very words, Jesus said, "But I tell you ... if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

 

Jesus challenged blind dedication to the written word. This has never been popular.

 

Can we honor men and women in the bible and ignore their example?  They trusted their experiences with God more than the words that preceded them. Can we ignore their obedience to the voice of God telling them something new?

 


No comments: